A quick not to every player and Parent…The hoop Group Core Skills program starts this Saturday. If your child is an advanced 7th and 8th grader, I urge you STRONGLEY to put your kid in this program. I believe no program does more for a kid’s development and starts the process of getting your child ready for high school than this program…I hope you all are listening!
Today’s Blog is about a word most people don’t understand. You have been reading about this word all week in almost every article. Sometimes as in today’s Asbury Park press they put the word right in front of your face. Many times that word is coded, they say things like great passing, great team work or total team contribution, you see you have to read between the lines to understand this word. That word is CHEMISTRY …. Some teams have IT and some DON’T.
BASKETBALL CHEMISTRY 101- BELOW YOU WILL FIND THE SECRET FORMULA
- Only worry about the name on the front of the Jersey…This is the start of any team having Chemistry, once everyone is playing for team goals first. the personal goals will be achieved
- Don’t concern yourself with who is starting… This is when you know your team is special.
- Mix your young players into your rotation without unsetting your upper classmen…When a coach moves a talented freshman into the rotation without them paying their dues, resentment toward the player and coach develops. but when you sit the freshman knowing she is more talented than the upper-classmen that could cause trust problems…tricky tricky trickey unless your last name is Kukoda, Montanto or Karpell
- Develop your bench so that EVERY player feels part of your team, even when it may cost you WINS early…every article you read regarding the winning teams this week talked about what, over and over? How the coach played everyone. By including everyone these coaches are building team chemistry, a deeper bench and most importantly happy teammates. A sure formula for success and a healthy environment.
- Trust… The coach must be consistent, if you say it, you must do it. You can’t treat them all the same but you can treat them all fairly. When you do …you gain the confidence of everyone surrounding the program and chemistry grows
- Accepting that you have a star player…sometimes your team must recognize they must rely on one player more than others…the team must accept this and the players accept their roles! But the star player must never be treated special and a your star must understand a greater team responsibly comes with this role.
- Style of Play- Nothing ruins a team faster than playing a style the kids don’t believe in.
- The players are never concerned with who is scoring the points…Who is the leading scorer at SJV? Exactly… nobody knows and nobody cares and that’s why they are the team to beat right now
- Winning Close Games. Nothing does more for a team that winning close games. It brings everyone together and they do what after? Talk about the win over and over and over…it leads to communication and greater TEAM CHEMISTRY AND BULILDS THAT thing that BINDS THEM EVEN MORE…TRUST!
- All for one and one for all…Teams who travel and sit together tend to LIKE each other… they don’t have to be best friends but they have to be GREAT teammates. ..And here is a little sneaky other thing…The parents also have a role, they don’t have to like each other, but when sitting in the stands, they must make a choice weather to support everyone or just their child. They must watch what they say and be respectful to everyone around them. The right decision can also add to super team chemistry.
- Coaches must stay away from political decisions…the players, parents and fans can read though it EVERYTIME! Nothing erodes the chemistry and trust faster…than THIS
- ALL PLAYERS MUST FOLLOW THE TEAM RULES ON AND OFF THE COURT….Lose this and you never get the chemistry
WEEK 2 POWER RANKING
1-SJV- Dawn Karpell is a master at developing teams…senior leadership and the true meaning of team can be seen and found everywhere. No team plays harder, cares and trusts each other more. They can play any style and it seems even the manager’s get time on the court. They are head and shoulders better than everyone. They love their coach and each other…SCARY RIGHT NOW
2-MANSQUAN- Sam Sullivan is the leading candidate for player of the year right now. Lisa Kukoda has developed a bench early. It cost her one game and won her a big game…Not a bad tradeoff. The group has total team chemistry. To say Eva Hart provides leadership is an insult. She is the definition of the word. Courtney Hagaman is playing lights out, Bridget Ford just out works and out plays her opponent every night…The two baby guards are special…Mariana Mabrey can play any style and will fit in perfectly without upsetting the chemistry … the new WOBM Champs could be the team to beat soon.
3-NEPTUNE- Hubbard is BAACK and can you hear the Bacon is sizzling, this come late could be the team to fear most…John Brown like every year gets them to believe. The tough schedule and time will both help late. Crenshaw is one of the best in the Shore. This again is a team you don’t want to see late. The press will improve and he will develop his bench like he does every year.
4-RBC- Joe Montano is using the babies and has one of the deepest teams in the BIG show…the best team at spacing the floor in the state. Alex Barazotti is living up to the hype, every game Fallon plays she will get better and better. Split with Manasquan and will be a rough customer ever night. The Yankee’s are just doing what they do…take your best punch and wait for what’s next
5-ST. ROSE- When do the babies arrive? If they are going to play the big boys, they will need the babies at some point. The schedule has always been an issue and it caught up with them again. Chemistry is important but they may need a little talent injection at some point as well…no question it’s available if St. Rose needs it..
6-HOLMDEL- Don Hampton has his kids playing oh so hard it scary… but Cardaci is done for the year and that cannot be overlooked. Cassie Fontana and Morgan Graziano who is a D1 player are tried and tested. But the real surprise is Mia Ehling who is flat out legit and can play for ANYONE. She could be the surprise of the year…Freshman Sidney Coffaro goes right to the front of the all-Freshman team list. This is a solid crew and Don Hampton has somehow managed to have a 9 player rotation, after having no bench last season. The win over Middletown South was no upset folks
7-MIDDLETOWN SOUTH- Tom Brennan gets it folks, all I’m going to say is this man is one of a kind. His team ran into a cold shooting night yesterday. But the shot selection was perfect the ball movement a thing of beauty. He has as he does every year added a few new treats to get opposing teams thinking. With the new freshman in tow, he is playing 9-10 players so watch out people. The professor just may surprise everyone. Step Karcz and Jill Faverly look very at ease with the changes. They still defend and everyone knows how hard they play.
8-MARLBORO- Folks this team should be ranked much higher…WHY? Haley Unger is a double/double machine, remember when Nicole Shatsky was a 8th grader many thought she could be a star one day. Well guess what? she is on the way to living up to those expectations and then finally if you are a D1 one coach not recruiting Sophomore Tatum Evans, get your head examined the 6’ 4/3 can do it ALL. This is a group that has wonderful chemistry for a group under the radar. Freshman Molly Weiss has had her moments as well and they are about 8 deep. No question they believe and so do their fans, once we see them against the big boys we will know more.
9-RFH- Hannah Scanlon has been the post player they thought could get them over the top. She has been the best freshman in the shore to date. That’s the good part…now the bad! Poor shot selection and poor defense has been a problem. Injuries have also set them back; but most serious is a total lack of a bench and losing close games. They will need to develop a bench and better Chemistry. Nicole Morris has lived up to the hype, Mayfield is guarding. Now Stant and Sabino must get fully healthy…
10-MANALAPAN- the best keep secret in the shore, did you see how they crushed wall?…. WELCOME
Follow on Twitter: