So with the Snow Days piling up as high as the snow outside, everyone is stuck at home with no hoop to shoot at. Fortunately, us at the Hoop Group are taking this opportunity to update one of our favorite pages from a couple years ago! Skills Director Ryan Finch is back with you today to teach you how to do some great drills inside your home while you have nowhere else to go!
All great shooters practice with plenty of repetition. You can practice your shot laying bed or on the floor.
- Lie flat on your back
- Slightly bend your legs
- Set your hands in a shooting position and shoot the ball directly upward to the ceiling
- Follow through, catch the ball, and repeat
You don’t have the dribble the ball to improve your ball handling skills. Strengthen your hand-eye coordination.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width
- Swing the ball around your torso from front to back
- Work in 60 second intervals and switch direction
- Work circling the ball around other areas of the body: head, knees, and ankles
Building up strength in your fingers will help with your ball handling, passing, and catching.
- You can do this while standing, sitting, or lying down.
- Hold ball in front of you with your finger tips, tap ball back and forth between your hands as quickly as possible
- More advanced players can move arms around in different locations while moving ball back and forth.
- Set goals of how long you can tap ball back and forth without making a turnover
Ball slaps are another drill that you can perform to increase finger strength.
- Hold basketball in one hand then pound it in your opposite hand.
- The receiving hand should squeeze the ball upon impact
- Repeat process for 60 second intervals
Just as repetition helps your shot, muscle memory also applies to your defensive stance. Increase your strength and stamina.
- Set your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width and bend your knees to a defensive position
- Keep your hands extended
- Hold this position till fatigue
Coach Kevin Driscoll gives a look at how to perform some of the drills mentioned above-